Thursday, March 4, 2010

freeze, freezing, big bay

So I did 2 ocean swims the past weekend! On Saturday we did the Big Bay Xtreme Swim around the Rock. This was a swim of 2.4 km.

So when I got to registration I was given the option of wetsuit or no wetsuit. Duhh!! Off course I will swim with a wetsuit. No amount of OBS would have convinced me to get into the 14 degree water. So off we went a few minutes later than suggested. The swim started in Small bay where we had to get to the back and around a buoy. What an experience being knocked around by big breakers. But I made it to the back and also safely around the island. Then there was some more trouble as I could not spot the buoy to return to the beach because of the swell and just carried on in a general direction to eventually find it.

Going out I was wishing I had a surf board with me as the conditions was ideal for surfing, just not body surfing. Every now and again I had to look around just to make sure there was no breaker about to break on me.

So on Sunday we returned to do the 11 Global Triathlon. Just to find that the swim is more or less the same. The swim was slightly shorter and in 11 degree water!!

The swim started at 07:00 and I had my fastest 1.5km ocean swim yet. I was out of the water after 22 minutes. I managed to also have a really good bike leg averaging 30km/h. The heat was on to finish in a really good time. So I turned up the leg speed to make sure that I finished the triathlon in 02:44:01. My best so far!

On Friday we are off to Howick to go and do the Midlands Ultra Triathlon (www.midlansultra.co.za). Not sure who is looking forward to this the most? The kids will be flying for the first time when we leave for Durban.

No comments:

Post a Comment